BlogLovin

Daily 5: Chapter 4 and A New Center Activity

Well I hope everyone is enjoying there week so far. My day back teaching summer reading camp went well and the kiddos are so excited to start their research! I felt kinda bad today telling them that we had to wait until tomorrow to start {today we got to know our books and set research expectations}!


Anyway, I enjoyed the read to self chapter of this book. I am excited for the fact that the students are so in-charge of their goals and independent reading improvement. One aspect of centers that my school district is pretty strong about is the aspect of accountability. They always want to see how the students are being held accountable at each center. A book in there hand just simply isn't enough.  When I first took a reading training about this I was a little unsure about how to hold them accountable all the time. However once I found a system that worked for both my students and myself, I was able to see how the students learned these expectations and produced meaningful work at each center. This book has gone along with this theory beautifully! From the moment I read how students will have a purpose for reading I knew I was going to enjoy the Daily 5. My centers are not only going to hold my students accountable but they are now also going to understand the purpose behind each center!


So I have updated my freebie Daily 5 classroom pack and added a few posters and things to the Daily 5 unit. You can get a copy of my freebie by visiting my TpT store. Here is a preview of what I added to the unit. There are read to self behavior and expectation webs, a reading response log, center exit tickets, and an independent definition poster. If you want to know what is in the freebie you will have to just check it out! I know, I know, I hate surprises too, but they are so fun to do! lol!


I still think I am going to use my new center- an Interactive reading response center- to use when the students are reading to self. The way it has them focus on before, during, and after reading strategies, I think will fit into their daily goals and practice on how to respond to text. Well that is the theory anyway! I can't wait to try it out! If you want to get your own copy just click on the product cover below!



As for my little center activity I am creating it for working with words! I found these Boggle centers all over the internet and Pinterest. They look so fun and easy to use. So then I found this teacher who played Boggle and Scrabble together! I thought this was genius and got started creating right away! {I can't for the life of me find this blog that I saw it on, so if it's you let me know!} I mean making words and math all in one?! Who wouldn't love this idea.... So here is a little preview of the unit and my goal is to have it ready for the work with words chapter linky!



Okay, I am keeping it short tonight! Have a great week and don't forget to link up with the Daily 5: Chapter 4 with Lindsey from The Teacher Wife!


3 comments:

  1. shannon, i think you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!!! I am really interested in seeing your Reading Response items. I will be downloading your product. It's too bad that your district is so strict with accountability. As long as our students are showing progress with our progress monitoring each week, we are good with having students reading books for enjoyment and not always having a paper to go with it. I also have the students take comprehension tests on the computer using Book Adventure which is a free website on the Internet. This lets me know if they are reading the books and understanding what the book is about. It's a great site and the students LOVE taking the tests. Thanks for sharing.

    Mrs Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog through Pinterest. You have such wonderful ideas, so glad I found you!!


    Aimee
    aimee@vanmiddlesworth.org
    Pencils, Books, and Dirty Looks

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe to my RSS Feeds
Favorite Blogs

© 2013 The Teaching Reef

Web Design by Mark Moyer

Web Elements by Trixie Scraps Designs